Anyone who has ever gotten married or helped plan a wedding knows that a wedding cake is typically one of the most expensive yet essential elements to any wedding.
Although wedding cake prices vary based on a number of factors, it is not unusual for couples to spend anywhere from $300 up to $2,000. In some cases, these are even more! Even back in 2014, the average wedding cake cost was over $400.
For those of us who cannot afford to spend thousands of dollars on a cake, there are ways to get cheap wedding cakes that are still delicious and nicely decorated.
- A simple and popular option for saving money on a wedding cake is to get a small, decorated cake to display at your reception and purchase a minimally decorated sheet cake to serve to guests. The sheet cake is typically kept back in the kitchen or prep area, so your guests may not even know that they are not receiving a slice of ‘your’ cake.
- Are you thinking “where can I find affordable wedding cakes near me?” Consider purchasing a cake from your local grocery store or club store such as Sam’s Club. Many times, these types of stores will sell cakes at a significantly discounted price (when compared to traditional bakeries).
- Another option is to choose very simple decorations to have on your cake. The more detailed and decorated your cake is, the higher the price will be. Simple can still mean elegant and beautiful!
- Opt for buttercream frosting instead of fondant. Buttercream is less expensive and many people prefer it over dense and sweet fondant.
- Consider choosing real flowers as your cake decor over flowers made from sugar. These flowers are very costly because they are hand made and hand decorated. Real flowers can add an absolutely beautiful touch to any wedding cake. Just be sure to get a few blooms that are food-safe and free from pesticides.
We hope we have given you some ideas on how you can get cheap wedding cakes that will add that special touch and delicious element to your big day!